At Riverside, our students are working towards improving their literacy skills. Each and every day our students experience and are engaged in various activities and instruction that is tailored to help them learn, grow, and succeed. Throughout the year various assessments are taken to determine student learning and understanding. What once began as a project, has now become a program because of its success.
This year we are working towards three literacy goals.
Our Pre-Kindergarten & Kindergarten students are working on Early Literacy Skills.
Grades 1-8 are working on their Reading Comprehension.
There has been lots of learning, and lots of growing!
Ways To Help Your Child Achieve Reading Success
The best way to get better at reading out loud, is to practice!! Finding reading material at home may be difficult, but anything will help – a newspaper, a magazine, a recipe, or even a note sent home. Check out the picture below. Reading at home for only 20 minutes a night can help your child achieve success in reading! It’s just that easy.
Not quite sure how to help your child read? Here are a few tips:
- Sit next to your child and s/he reads so you can see the words and illustrations with them
- Make sure your child points to each word as they read.
- If your child is stuck on a word, give them time to figure it out – 5 seconds
- Ask questions while they are reading – what do you think will happen next?
- At the end of a story, or reading, ask them to tell you what they just read. It is important that they remember.
- The more your child hears you read, they will learn from you.
Here is a link to some great reading strategies that we use here, at Riverside. ReadingStrategiesPostersBookmarks
- Switcheroo Zoo: Watch, listen and play games to learn all about amazing animals! www.switcheroozoo.com
- Into the Book: Go “into the book” to play games that practice reading strategies! www.reading.ecb.org
- Storyline Online: Have some of your favorite stories read to you by movie stars! www.storylineonline.net
- ABC YA: Practice reading stills and math all while playing fun game! www.abcya.com
- Highlights Kids: Read, play games, and conduct cool science experiments! www.highlightskids.com
- Tumble Books: Read, listen to stories and play games while improving your reading! http://www.tumblebooks.com
- login: srsd password: books
Check out the ‘Student Links’ tab at the top for more great games.